AutosTalk Forums  

new Honda CR-V break in

Honda automobiles Honda automobiles. (rec.autos.makers.honda)


Discuss new Honda CR-V break in in the Honda automobiles forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old   
Guy
 
Posts: n/a

Default new Honda CR-V break in - 12-31-2009 , 08:41 PM






I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
What is the proper way?

I don't care what the manual says. What do you guys feel is the best
mileage to do the first oil change? I normally change my oil and
filter around 3500 miles on my other cars with no synthetic.


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old   
jim beam
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: new Honda CR-V break in - 12-31-2009 , 08:55 PM






On 12/31/2009 05:41 PM, Guy wrote:
Quote:
I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
What is the proper way?

I don't care what the manual says.
in that case, you should get rid of this vehicle and go buy a buick.
buh-bye!


Quote:
What do you guys feel is the best
mileage to do the first oil change? I normally change my oil and
filter around 3500 miles on my other cars with no synthetic.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old   
Guy
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: new Honda CR-V break in - 12-31-2009 , 09:14 PM



On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:55:56 -0800, jim beam <me (AT) privacy (DOT) net> wrote:

Quote:
On 12/31/2009 05:41 PM, Guy wrote:
I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
What is the proper way?

I don't care what the manual says.

in that case, you should get rid of this vehicle and go buy a buick.
buh-bye!

I didn't mean the manual was wrong but wanted to know what
experience(s) work well with a new Honda. Maybe most don't follow the
manual???



Quote:
What do you guys feel is the best
mileage to do the first oil change? I normally change my oil and
filter around 3500 miles on my other cars with no synthetic.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old   
Brian Smith
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: new Honda CR-V break in - 12-31-2009 , 09:51 PM



Guy wrote:
Quote:
I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
What is the proper way?
What does the manual tell you to do in regards to the proper way to
deal with the break in period?

Quote:
I don't care what the manual says. What do you guys feel is the best
mileage to do the first oil change? I normally change my oil and
filter around 3500 miles on my other cars with no synthetic.
By the sounds of your second paragraph, you may as well disregard my
first portion of my reply. The manual was written by the people who
designed and built the vehicle. *They* know what the vehicle needs and
how it needs to be treated throughout its life.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old   
Joe
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: new Honda CR-V break in - 01-01-2010 , 02:38 AM



On 2010-01-01, Guy <void (AT) void (DOT) com> wrote:
Quote:
I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
What is the proper way?

I don't care what the manual says. What do you guys feel is the best
mileage to do the first oil change? I normally change my oil and
filter around 3500 miles on my other cars with no synthetic.
Drive it normal, without a heavy foot, and change oil when the
maintenance minder tells you. The original oil is a special blend,
and it doesn't make sense to take it out before necessary.

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
"Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
time..." - Danny, American History X

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old   
Guy
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: new Honda CR-V break in - 01-01-2010 , 08:44 AM



On 01 Jan 2010 07:38:46 GMT, Joe <joe (AT) spam (DOT) hits-spam-buffalo.com>
wrote:

Quote:
On 2010-01-01, Guy <void (AT) void (DOT) com> wrote:
I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
What is the proper way?

I don't care what the manual says. What do you guys feel is the best
mileage to do the first oil change? I normally change my oil and
filter around 3500 miles on my other cars with no synthetic.

Drive it normal, without a heavy foot, and change oil when the
maintenance minder tells you. The original oil is a special blend,
and it doesn't make sense to take it out before necessary.

Thanks Joe for answering my question. I wasn't trying to disrespect
the manual but I really just wanted to know what others actually did
or didn't do. Of course I'll read / re-read parts of the manual. I
remember the sales person mentioning something about a reminder
light?? I haven't had a new car in a while so I forgot what I did
exactly but I remember back in the 70's with a new car, driving under
55 for like 500 miles or so. I thought I read more recently that due
to tighter tolerances, break in wasn't necessary on newer cars. I
guess I was wondering what others thought. Perhaps I didn't word my
orig post well and most jumped down my throat. Thanks Joe for at
least trying to answer me without accusations. Appreciate that.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old   
Tegger
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: new Honda CR-V break in - 01-01-2010 , 10:33 AM



"Guy" <void (AT) void (DOT) com> wrote in news:jaiqj59fcmiu02eqs7tsh5gcjm8a2bbhig@
4ax.com:

Quote:
I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
What is the proper way?

I don't care what the manual says. What do you guys feel is the best
mileage to do the first oil change? I normally change my oil and
filter around 3500 miles on my other cars with no synthetic.


You just entrusted Honda with tens of thousands of your dollars in exchange
for a complicated machine that might as well be a "black box" to you.

The engineers that designed the vehicle and its systems have performed
testing that consumed hundreds of millions of dollars and millions of hours
of time. Some of that testing was done in order to determine the
maintenance requirements.

The end result of all that testing is manifested in the Maintenance Minder
on your dashboard, and in the Maintenance Schedule in the Owner's Manual.

If you're willing to trust Honda enough to purchase a piece of their
complex, precision machinery, but regard as suspect Honda's official word
on how to take care of it, preferring the opinions of anonymous, uneducated
Usenet posters instead, you're asking for trouble.

Having said that, I am of the opinion that you can never change your oil
too often. I draw a distinction, however, between replacement of the
factory fill and subsequent oil changes.

It has not been established with 100% certainty that the factory fill is
indeed ordinary off-the-shelf motor oil. It might be slightly different
from off-the-shelf, but nobody really knows. For that reason I would leave
the factory fill in until the Minder says to replace it. After that, change
it /more/ often than required if you like. And always use an OEM filter.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old   
jim beam
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: new Honda CR-V break in - 01-01-2010 , 10:35 AM



On 12/31/2009 07:31 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
Quote:
In article<jaiqj59fcmiu02eqs7tsh5gcjm8a2bbhig (AT) 4ax (DOT) com>,
"Guy"<void (AT) void (DOT) com> wrote:

I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
What is the proper way?

I don't care what the manual says.

ummmm, yeah. You don't care what the engineers say--you'd rather come
to some newsgroup and have anonymous voices tell you something.

In other words, you're shopping for an answer that you think is right.
You've already decided, you just want someone to agree. You don't think
the engineers have it right, so that's why you're here.

Fact: the owner's manual is the only authoritative resource, and
anything you hear here is more likely than not to be nothing more than
old wives' tales, handed down from father to son without interference
from actual knowledge or facts.

Have fun with your shiny new $25,000 toy.
this is the piece of psychology that always completely blows my mind -
the bit where people can spend a bunch of dough, then completely
disregard what they put it into. if they had a suitcase with $25,000 in
hundreds, would they toss it out of a moving car with the lid open and
watch the notes get blown away in the wind? of course not. but when
those bills are all stuck together and shaped like a "car", psychology
completely changes - owners manual? pshaw!

this is contrasted with their behavior when getting on a plane. they
pay money to sit compliantly and unquestioningly while they put their
lives literally into the hands of other people who they have faith will
proceed to follow the thousands and thousands of instructions in the
plane's "owners manual", precisely and exactly, and thereby arrive at
their destination safely.

to summarize:

* flying on a plane - they trust experts to know what they're doing.

* driving a car - johnny shade tree is trusted and the experts are
actively not.

freakin' humans - they are so bizarrely perversely weird.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old   
jim beam
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: new Honda CR-V break in - 01-01-2010 , 10:36 AM



On 01/01/2010 05:44 AM, Guy wrote:
Quote:
On 01 Jan 2010 07:38:46 GMT, Joe<joe (AT) spam (DOT) hits-spam-buffalo.com
wrote:

On 2010-01-01, Guy<void (AT) void (DOT) com> wrote:
I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
What is the proper way?

I don't care what the manual says. What do you guys feel is the best
mileage to do the first oil change? I normally change my oil and
filter around 3500 miles on my other cars with no synthetic.

Drive it normal, without a heavy foot, and change oil when the
maintenance minder tells you. The original oil is a special blend,
and it doesn't make sense to take it out before necessary.


Thanks Joe for answering my question. I wasn't trying to disrespect
the manual but I really just wanted to know what others actually did
or didn't do. Of course I'll read / re-read parts of the manual. I
remember the sales person mentioning something about a reminder
light?? I haven't had a new car in a while so I forgot what I did
exactly but I remember back in the 70's with a new car, driving under
55 for like 500 miles or so. I thought I read more recently that due
to tighter tolerances, break in wasn't necessary on newer cars. I
guess I was wondering what others thought. Perhaps I didn't word my
orig post well and most jumped down my throat. Thanks Joe for at
least trying to answer me without accusations. Appreciate that.
"rtfm" is not an accusation, guy - it's simply trying to save you from
yourself.

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old   
jim beam
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: new Honda CR-V break in - 01-01-2010 , 10:49 AM






On 01/01/2010 07:33 AM, Tegger wrote:
Quote:
"Guy"<void (AT) void (DOT) com> wrote in news:jaiqj59fcmiu02eqs7tsh5gcjm8a2bbhig@
4ax.com:

I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
What is the proper way?

I don't care what the manual says. What do you guys feel is the best
mileage to do the first oil change? I normally change my oil and
filter around 3500 miles on my other cars with no synthetic.



You just entrusted Honda with tens of thousands of your dollars in exchange
for a complicated machine that might as well be a "black box" to you.

The engineers that designed the vehicle and its systems have performed
testing that consumed hundreds of millions of dollars and millions of hours
of time. Some of that testing was done in order to determine the
maintenance requirements.

The end result of all that testing is manifested in the Maintenance Minder
on your dashboard, and in the Maintenance Schedule in the Owner's Manual.

If you're willing to trust Honda enough to purchase a piece of their
complex, precision machinery, but regard as suspect Honda's official word
on how to take care of it, preferring the opinions of anonymous, uneducated
Usenet posters instead, you're asking for trouble.

Having said that, I am of the opinion that you can never change your oil
too often.
with respect, that opinion is underinformed. from
http://www.swri.org/3pubs/IRD1999/03912699.htm

we read: "Testing with partially stressed oil, which contained some wear
debris, produced less wear than testing with clean oil."

provided you're not using cheap garbage oil with a poor additive package
or a poor base that's breaking down, there is no point changing your oil
more frequently than factory spec. especially with a maintenance
minder. better yet, get oil analysis done - with analysis and a quality
full synthetic, i'm looking at 20k miles between changes, based on my
driving pattern.


Quote:
I draw a distinction, however, between replacement of the
factory fill and subsequent oil changes.

It has not been established with 100% certainty that the factory fill is
indeed ordinary off-the-shelf motor oil. It might be slightly different
from off-the-shelf, but nobody really knows. For that reason I would leave
the factory fill in until the Minder says to replace it. After that, change
it /more/ often than required if you like. And always use an OEM filter.


Reply With Quote
Reply




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.