AutosTalk Forums  

Temperature Gauge troubleshooting

Mini Discussion of English Mini automobiles (alt.autos.mini)


Discuss Temperature Gauge troubleshooting in the Mini forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old   
Alon Seal
 
Posts: n/a

Default Temperature Gauge troubleshooting - 10-23-2006 , 06:04 PM






(I did a search first, and found a few posts that confirm my initial
observations. I'm hoping someone can give me a firmer answer.)

My Mini's temperature gauge does not appear to be working. The needle
is way down at the bottom. The wires going from the temperature sensor
to the dashboard appears to be good (light blue/green). Connector #3
at the dash is giving a pulsating +12v. My fuel guage is working.
Does this mean it's a temperature guage?




Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old   
Taffy
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: Temperature Gauge troubleshooting - 10-23-2006 , 09:28 PM






Alon Seal wrote:
Quote:
(I did a search first, and found a few posts that confirm my initial
observations. I'm hoping someone can give me a firmer answer.)

My Mini's temperature gauge does not appear to be working. The needle
is way down at the bottom. The wires going from the temperature sensor
to the dashboard appears to be good (light blue/green). Connector #3
at the dash is giving a pulsating +12v. My fuel guage is working.
Does this mean it's a temperature guage?

No...it means that you are a retard. Just sell that thing and get a real
car!


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old   
Not here Not Now
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: Temperature Gauge troubleshooting - 10-23-2006 , 11:13 PM



Alon Seal wrote:
Quote:
(I did a search first, and found a few posts that confirm my initial
observations. I'm hoping someone can give me a firmer answer.)

My Mini's temperature gauge does not appear to be working. The needle
is way down at the bottom. The wires going from the temperature sensor
to the dashboard appears to be good (light blue/green). Connector #3
at the dash is giving a pulsating +12v. My fuel guage is working.
Does this mean it's a temperature guage?


This all needs to be done while the engine is cold

Find the temperature sending unit it will be slender and in most cases
have a single wire attached, it can be located on the side of the block,
water inlet close to the thermostat housing, on the head it self.

If your mini has an electric fan there will be a temperature switch
close to the radiator and will usually have two wires attached.

If your car has an oil pressure gauge this will make it easier the oil
sending unit will have a metal bulb with a wire on the end if it. This
is not the temperature sending unit.

After you Find the wire to the temperature sending unit unplug the wire,
roll the key to the on state if the gauge swings to the far right this
will show the gauge working in an un-grounded state if the gauge does
nothing, next take a test probe with a low current lamp in it, make sure
it is a low current, some of the low current types use a .05ma LED in them

Using the test probe make a connection between the temp lead wire and
the block lock at the gauge it should swing to about half

If all the above happened as described above use have a problem with the
sending unit, clean the connection if this does not resolve the issue
replace the temperature sending unit.

If the sending unit is located any where an air pocket can be created do
not remove the radiator cap, this will cause a hot spot in the engine,
this will result in you having to pressure bleed the cooling system
forcing any trapped air out of the cooling system.

Hope this helps you out


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old   
madmax
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: Temperature Gauge troubleshooting - 10-23-2006 , 11:28 PM



Not here Not Now wrote:
Quote:
Alon Seal wrote:

(I did a search first, and found a few posts that confirm my initial
observations. I'm hoping someone can give me a firmer answer.)

My Mini's temperature gauge does not appear to be working. The needle
is way down at the bottom. The wires going from the temperature sensor
to the dashboard appears to be good (light blue/green). Connector #3
at the dash is giving a pulsating +12v. My fuel guage is working.
Does this mean it's a temperature guage?



This all needs to be done while the engine is cold

Find the temperature sending unit it will be slender and in most cases
have a single wire attached, it can be located on the side of the block,
water inlet close to the thermostat housing, on the head it self.

If your mini has an electric fan there will be a temperature switch
close to the radiator and will usually have two wires attached.

If your car has an oil pressure gauge this will make it easier the oil
sending unit will have a metal bulb with a wire on the end if it. This
is not the temperature sending unit.

After you Find the wire to the temperature sending unit unplug the wire,
roll the key to the on state if the gauge swings to the far right this
will show the gauge working in an un-grounded state if the gauge does
nothing, next take a test probe with a low current lamp in it, make sure
it is a low current, some of the low current types use a .05ma LED in them

Using the test probe make a connection between the temp lead wire and
the block lock at the gauge it should swing to about half

If all the above happened as described above use have a problem with the
sending unit, clean the connection if this does not resolve the issue
replace the temperature sending unit.

If the sending unit is located any where an air pocket can be created do
not remove the radiator cap, this will cause a hot spot in the engine,
this will result in you having to pressure bleed the cooling system
forcing any trapped air out of the cooling system.

Hope this helps you out
Thought you were leaving the group? I guess you just like to talk.


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old   
Taffy
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: Temperature Gauge troubleshooting - 10-24-2006 , 08:58 AM



Apart from ignoring the abuse from our friendly backwards/inbred Troll,
exactly what year/model Mini do you have?

Taffy


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old   
Alon Seal
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: Temperature Gauge troubleshooting - 10-24-2006 , 10:26 AM



I have an unknown vintage Mini. From all indications, it appears to be
mid-80's, with a 1275 engine. It has a mechanical fan.

I've found the sending unit, and attached to it is a LightBlue/Green
wire, which goes all the way back to the dashboard's wiring harness.

When I unplug the wire and KOEO, the temperature gauage does NOT move
(needle down). (My gauge goes up and down, not left and right.) I've
checked that the sending unit is putting up some resistance, but I
can't remember how much.

So, you are saying if I short the temp wire to the block, with a low
current test light acting as a resistor, my gauge should move half-way,
correct?

Alon


Not here Not Now wrote:

Quote:
Find the temperature sending unit it will be slender and in most cases
have a single wire attached, it can be located on the side of the block,
water inlet close to the thermostat housing, on the head it self.

If your mini has an electric fan there will be a temperature switch
close to the radiator and will usually have two wires attached.

If your car has an oil pressure gauge this will make it easier the oil
sending unit will have a metal bulb with a wire on the end if it. This
is not the temperature sending unit.

After you Find the wire to the temperature sending unit unplug the wire,
roll the key to the on state if the gauge swings to the far right this
will show the gauge working in an un-grounded state if the gauge does
nothing, next take a test probe with a low current lamp in it, make sure
it is a low current, some of the low current types use a .05ma LED in them

Using the test probe make a connection between the temp lead wire and
the block lock at the gauge it should swing to about half

If all the above happened as described above use have a problem with the
sending unit, clean the connection if this does not resolve the issue
replace the temperature sending unit.

If the sending unit is located any where an air pocket can be created do
not remove the radiator cap, this will cause a hot spot in the engine,
this will result in you having to pressure bleed the cooling system
forcing any trapped air out of the cooling system.

Hope this helps you out


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old   
Madmax
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: Temperature Gauge troubleshooting - 10-24-2006 , 11:20 AM



Taffy wrote:

Quote:
Apart from ignoring the abuse from our friendly backwards/inbred Troll,
exactly what year/model Mini do you have?

Taffy

Why don't you listen to your own advice? Are you just thick?


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old   
Madmax
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: Temperature Gauge troubleshooting - 10-24-2006 , 11:22 AM



Alon Seal wrote:

Quote:
I have an unknown vintage Mini. From all indications, it appears to be
mid-80's, with a 1275 engine. It has a mechanical fan.

I've found the sending unit, and attached to it is a LightBlue/Green
wire, which goes all the way back to the dashboard's wiring harness.

When I unplug the wire and KOEO, the temperature gauage does NOT move
(needle down). (My gauge goes up and down, not left and right.) I've
checked that the sending unit is putting up some resistance, but I
can't remember how much.

So, you are saying if I short the temp wire to the block, with a low
current test light acting as a resistor, my gauge should move half-way,
correct?

Alon


You don't know the vintage? Sounds like a lovely rust bucket.


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old   
Alon Seal
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: Temperature Gauge troubleshooting - 10-24-2006 , 05:53 PM



It's rusty enough... and lovely enough for me to drive.

Madmax wrote:

Quote:
You don't know the vintage? Sounds like a lovely rust bucket.


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old   
Rob
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: Temperature Gauge troubleshooting - 10-24-2006 , 06:10 PM






Alon Seal wrote:
Quote:
I have an unknown vintage Mini. From all indications, it appears to be
mid-80's, with a 1275 engine. It has a mechanical fan.

I've found the sending unit, and attached to it is a LightBlue/Green
wire, which goes all the way back to the dashboard's wiring harness.

When I unplug the wire and KOEO, the temperature gauage does NOT move
(needle down). (My gauge goes up and down, not left and right.) I've
checked that the sending unit is putting up some resistance, but I
can't remember how much.

So, you are saying if I short the temp wire to the block, with a low
current test light acting as a resistor, my gauge should move half-way,
correct?

Alon


There are resistance values which equal temperature on the gauge. So if
you place a test light into the circuit then this acts as a resistor.

Someone must have these figures written down.




Quote:
Not here Not Now wrote:


Find the temperature sending unit it will be slender and in most cases
have a single wire attached, it can be located on the side of the block,
water inlet close to the thermostat housing, on the head it self.

If your mini has an electric fan there will be a temperature switch
close to the radiator and will usually have two wires attached.

If your car has an oil pressure gauge this will make it easier the oil
sending unit will have a metal bulb with a wire on the end if it. This
is not the temperature sending unit.

After you Find the wire to the temperature sending unit unplug the wire,
roll the key to the on state if the gauge swings to the far right this
will show the gauge working in an un-grounded state if the gauge does
nothing, next take a test probe with a low current lamp in it, make sure
it is a low current, some of the low current types use a .05ma LED in them

Using the test probe make a connection between the temp lead wire and
the block lock at the gauge it should swing to about half

If all the above happened as described above use have a problem with the
sending unit, clean the connection if this does not resolve the issue
replace the temperature sending unit.

If the sending unit is located any where an air pocket can be created do
not remove the radiator cap, this will cause a hot spot in the engine,
this will result in you having to pressure bleed the cooling system
forcing any trapped air out of the cooling system.

Hope this helps you out



Reply With Quote
Reply




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.